Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Financial Officer will be a vital leader on The Music Hall’s executive team, accountable for managing finance, human resources, and information technology. The Chief Financial Officer will be a conceptual thinker with the ability to visualize potential outcomes and to model various financial scenarios and develop salient business strategies to meet the ongoing changing financial needs of The Music Hall. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Chief Financial Officer will work closely with the Treasurer and Finance Committee in budgeting, financial reporting, audit compliance, and maintaining the overall financial health of The Music Hall.
Futuristic Thinking and Strategy
- Assess the current budget and work with the leadership team to assess the viability of future organizational plans and possible programming initiatives.
- Evaluate the current allocation of human, financial, and technological resources and the potential for additional revenue in support of the long-term budgetary and strategic planning goals.
- Assist the Executive Director in setting fiscal goals for strategic collaborations based on financial analysis, scenario planning, cost identification and allocation, and overall risk management.
- Advise the Executive Director and Board Finance Committee as to regional economic issues that may impact market changes and expected financial/organizational goals.
Financial and Technological Management
- Create and implement TMH budget, maintain a financial dashboard, and share status with Executive Director, staff and Finance Committee on a monthly basis.
- Collaborate with the accounting staff to prepare financial reports for the Board of Directors, funders, and others who may require this data.
- Coordinate with the Development department to track contributed income and assist in compliance with grant reporting requirements.
- Manage cash flow and coordinate with department heads to monitor revenues and expenses.
- Ensure that all accounting and financial reporting is in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and coordinate all audit activities with outside auditors.
- Review and manage finance procedures, processes, and administration, and make recommendations for their improvement.
- Maintain legal compliance with all local, state, and federal tax filings and regulations.
- Supervise payroll and monitor employee benefit programs.
- Collaborate with the information technology staff to research, purchase, implement, and maintain hardware and software in accordance with short- and long-term organizational needs and capital budgets.
- Oversee capital improvements and planning for The Music Hall.
- Manage direct reports, including finance, human resources, and information technology, and implement plans for professional development.
- Review human resource policies, procedures, and benefits, and suggest updates and improvements where appropriate.
- Facilitate cross-department collaboration that ensures all financial, human resource, and information technology solutions fulfill The Music Hall’s strategic and operational needs.
- Support The Music Hall’s creative culture and challenging work environment though encouragement, and engage with the dedicated staff in a positive manner.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The Chief Financial Officer must be an energetic and resilient leader with futuristic thinking and problem solving abilities. A flexible individual who is able to conceptualize and, simultaneously, achieve goals and move the organization from thought to action, he/she will have outstanding skills in strategic thinking and decision-making. Detailed, analytical, and motivated to achieve an appropriate return on investment of financial, human, and technological resources, the Chief Financial Officer will also possess the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Anticipates, analyzes, diagnoses, and resolves problems engaging with the staff to assure successful implementation.
- Personal Accountability – Embraces his/her own capacity to be answerable for personal actions and professional decisions.
- Self-Management – Independently pursues objectives in an organized and efficient manner, prioritizes activities, maintains a high level of activity without direct supervision, and completes high quality work on time, on budget, and on mission.
- Flexibility – Engages with The Music Hall stakeholders in a flexible and cooperative manner, building a collaborative community spirit and positive work atmosphere in a fast-paced environment.
Qualified applicants will have a strong finance background, a Bachelor’s degree is required and an MBA is preferred. A minimum of 8 years’ experience as a CFO, Finance Director, or similar position is required. Experience in a nonprofit performing arts organization preferred and strength in financial planning, management, and reporting is required. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to maximize the capabilities of nonprofit accounting software. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. A strong interest in and passion for the performing arts and an understanding of its substantive and creative impact on society.
Competitive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, ability to contribute towards a 401(k) retirement plan, 11 paid holidays, parking and a quality of life that Portsmouth and The Music Hall provide.
APPLICATIONS AND INQUIRIES
Cover letter and resume, electronic submissions preferred, outlining demonstrable accomplishments to:
Ms. Pamela A. Pantos, Vice President
Arts Consulting Group, Inc.
292 Newbury Street, Suite 315
Boston, MA 02115-2836
Tel: (617) 335.6920
Fax: (888) 284.6651
To read the full position description, click here.
A/V ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
The Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH seeks an Audio/Video ATD for a year-round full time position. This person will work closely with the Technical Director and Lighting ATD in planning, budgeting and executing the presentation of 200+ live performances in The Music Hall’s two venues, a 900 seat historic proscenium theater and 124 seat cabaret black box (The Music Hall Loft).
Successful candidates should have a general knowledge of all areas of technical theater including basic lighting and rigging. Candidates should be equally comfortable working as part of a team and on their own, be a self starter and be a good communicator both in person and in writing. Job involves variable work hours including late nights and weekends.To do this job you will need to have excellent technical and IT skills. You will need good organisational skills, be able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Competitive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, ability to contribute towards a 401(k) retirement plan, 11 paid holidays.
Primary Job Functions:
- Advance audio with incoming artists and tours
- Arrange rentals with audio and backline companies
- Supply estimates to programming for artist contracts for audio and backline
- Maintain all A/V and serve as point person for repairs and upgrades
- Mix shows at both of our venues as needed
- Serve as house engineer for incoming touring artists
- Record and send live recording files to partners in a timely manner
- Assist with load in and load outs of shows
- Attend staff and operations meetings
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
Secondary Job Functions:
- Organize and supervise audio crew when required
- Run NT Live and Met in HD shows and provide customer service
- Assist with lighting and rigging
- Assist with operations tasks
- Coordinate troubleshooting with projectionists as needed
- Coordinate with our Ogunquit Playhouse Partner sound designer to provide sound for musical
Audio - signal flow, digital consoles including Avid Profile & SC48, Yamaha PM5D & MC7L, concert mixing, monitor mixing, general audio repair and troubleshooting, audio software including Pro Tools and Logic, Meyer Galileo and Compass software, Line to line mixing, musical theatre programming, Dolby Digital processors, content creation, qLab, wireless workbench
Video - DCP and DoReMi server, basic projector knowledge, Icecrypt, Final Cut Pro