Join a Fantastic Team
Part-Time House Manager
The Music Hall, a vibrant and active arts and culture nonprofit, seeks an energetic and personable person to join the Front of House team as a part-time house manager. Under the leadership of a progressive Executive Director and a forward-looking staff, The Music Hall has become one of the premier performing arts centers in New England and is poised for further growth.
The part-time house manager is responsible for the smooth operation of The Music Hall’s Historic Theater and Loft Front of House areas during the run of the show. House managers welcome the public to the theater and oversee their safety and well-being before, during, and after the show. They answer questions, listen to patrons’ compliments and concerns, and make audience members feel welcome.
The Music Hall is an equal opportunity employer and is located in the thriving and beautiful seaside town of Portsmouth. Submit a cover letter and resume to The Music Hall, attention Jeff Kamensky (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are looking to fill this position immediately.
- Supervise FOH guest services staff (volunteers) including ushers, ticket takers, scanners, coat check, seating, greeters, merchandise counting and reconciliation, program stuffing and distribution for all activities within the theaters.
- Oversee any FOH emergency procedures including evacuation of patrons and staff.
- Assist in training, performance standards, work rules, and safety requirements.
- Communicate with production and box office staff regularly to ensure all pertinent information for shows and events is accurate and up-to-date.
- Deliver high-touch customer service to all patrons, while recognizing donors, members, and stakeholders as such.
- Assist guests and artists in answering special requests and resolve problems as necessary.
- Complete all required reports and administrative processes.
- Perform related duties as assigned by management.
- Post-secondary education preferred
- 3 years guest-service experience (theater preferred, but restaurant/hospitality accepted)
- Bartending experience strongly preferred
- Excellent patron relations skills, with strong decision-making ability
- Must possess a professional and courteous demeanor for all situations
- Must maintain professional appearance at all times
- Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience with POS systems and satisfactory computer skills (Word, Excel, Keynote)
- Must possess the ability to think on one’s feet and handle high-volume, fast-paced pressure of a multi-venue theater environment.
- Reports to: General Manager of Front of House, Senior Front of House Manager, and Assistant Front of House Manager
- Subordinate staff: all volunteers
- Other internal contacts: Director of Operations, Production Manager and staff, box office staff
- External contacts: members, general public, tour managers, community partners